Arequipa is the colonial-era capital of Peru’s. Framed by 3 volcanoes, it’s filled with baroque buildings constructed from sillar, a white volcanic stone. Its historic center is anchored by the Plaza de Armas, a stately main square flanked on its north by the 17th-century neoclassical Basilica Cathedral, which houses a museum displaying religious objects and artwork.
The region has a semi-arid and temperate climate. The rainy season begins in January and ends in March.
How to get there
Daily flights from Lima (1 hour), Cuzco (30 minutes) and Juliaca (30 minutes). Flights from Tacna (30 minutes). International flights from La Paz – Bolivia (Monday – Wednesday and Friday / 40 minutes).
Lima-Arequipa: 1,003 Km
on the Panamericana Sur highway (14 hours by car)
Distances to Arequipa
|Lima||633.8 miles (1,020 Km)|
|Cusco||388 miles (625 Km)|
|Puno||201.9 miles (325 Km)|
|Colca Valley||111.8 miles (180 Km)|
Good To Know
Visa in not needed for EU citizens. Everyone else need a visa.
Peruvian Sol (PEN)
Jubilee Festival of Mollendo (06 January).
Fiesta de la Virgen de la Candelaria (02 February). / Carnival (February).
Feast of our Lady of Chapi.
Characato Day (June 24).
Fiesta de la Virgen Del Carmen (14-17 July).
Week of Arequipa (August 15)
Fiesta de la Virgen de los Remedios
Commemoration ``Resistance Andina``.
Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
Attractions in the City
- Arequipa Cathedral and Museum
- The Society of Jesus Church and Complex
- Santa Catalina Monastery
- Santo Domingo Church and Convent
- La Recoleta Convent
- Tristán del Pozo House
- La Merced Church
- Saint Augustine Church
- Saint Francis Church and Complex
- Santa Teresa Monastery Museum of Viceregal Art
- Casa del Moral (Mulberry House)
- San Lázaro neighbourhood
- San Agustín National University Museum of Archaeology
- Contemporary Art Museum
- Arequipa Santa María Catholic University Museum of Archaeology
- Municipal History Museum
- “Chiribaya” pre-Inca Museum
- Villalobos Ampuero House Museum
- The Moral house
Attractions Beyond the City
- Sabandía (Arequipa)
- Yanahuara scenic viewpoint (Arequipa)
- Founder’s Mansion, Socabaya (Arequipa)
- Sumbay Caves – Cave Art (Arequipa)
- Misti Volcano (Arequipa)
- Chachani peak (Arequipa)
- Toro Muerto (Dead Bull) and Querullpa (Castilla)
- Valley of the Volcanoes (Castilla)
- Ampato Volcano (Caylloma)
- Salinas and Aguada Blanca National Reserve (Caylloma and Arequipa)
- Colca Canyon and Valley (Caylloma)
- Cotahuasi Canyon and Valley (La Unión)
- Lagoons of Mejía National Sanctuary (Islay)